Sunday, February 10, 2013

Don't Tread On Me...

My wife and I were talking the other day about one major difference in the United States and Canada: Everyone in the U.S. knows someone who has served in the military (and possibly died) in Iraq, Afghanistan or Vietnam.  In Canada, few even know someone in the military, much less know someone who has died in war.

I reviewed the people that I knew.

Vietnam: I remember a childhood friend, Scott Gentry, who lost his older brother in Vietnam. (This is probably the first that I heard of Vietnam). In addition, I have 3 uncles on my mother's side that served in Vietnam: two in the USAF and one in the US Army (with two Purple Hearts).

Iraq: I friend's son from church served in Iraq. I remember the prayers that went up for his safety.

When I graduated from high school in 1975, some went to college, some went to work, but quite a few went to the military.

May God bless the military from the US and Canada for their service.

No comments:

Post a Comment