Tuesday, January 29, 2013

You Might Be a Redneck if...

 You might be a redneck if more than one living relative is named after a Southern Civil War general.  -- Jeff Foxworthy

Jeff Foxworthy popularized the expression "You might be a redneck if..." and then he would follow it by a situation with which all rednecks (and Southerners) could relate. It would be funny because EVERYONE had been it the situation before and would not realize that this was a common experience.  "I have an uncle just like that." we could say to ourselves.

The ability to laugh at oneself does not seem to come easy to Canadians, or at least those in B.C.  I am not sure why this is, but it may have something to do with an insecurity of always being in the shadow of the United States.  Here, you can not crack an "Eh?" joke about Canada without someone immediately becoming offended.

"Well, at least that is better that sounding like some hick from the South. They add at least one extra syllable to every word. I know that they are that dumb, because you should see some of the e-mails that I get."

On the other hand, I have a Canadian son-in-law who hunts, fishes, drives a pick-up, etc., etc., etc.  He will gladly associate himself with us "rednecks".

For those Canadians reading this, I come from the eastern part of Tennessee, but have lived in West Virginia, Virginia and North Carolina, and my accent does sound quite Southern. I may sound like a "hick" to some, but the places I have lived have more population than the English speaking part of Canada. I have three college degrees from three different colleges or universities.  From where I used to live in East Tennessee, I could drive to three different major medical centers (Vanderbilt, University of Virginia and Duke) and I was with driving distance of University of Tennessee (known for the "body farm" made famous by the CSI television series).

To get them to lighten up, maybe I should start a "You might be a Canuck if..." comedy routine.  I could become famous!

No comments:

Post a Comment