Saturday, January 19, 2013

An American living in Canada

Three years ago, my wife and I moved to BC, Canada to help care for her parents. I knew that there were differences, but I never realized how much Canadians truly believe that they are just like Americans, or at least that they "know" what it is like to be an American.

I am starting this blog to highlight the differences. I don't do this to make fun, offend, or insult anyone (American or Canadian), but to celebrate our differences.

BTW, my mother-in-law is offended that people in "the States" would call themselves "Americans" since Canadians and Mexicans are from North America. I had thought about it before, and I can only blame the Brits. They were the first ones to call us Americans.

Anyway, I plan to do this with a little bit of humor (humour??), mostly laughing at myself. A BIG difference in Americans (or at least, Southerners) and Canadians is the ability to laugh at yourself. If you say, "Eh?" to a Canadian, he is libel to get insulted. In contrast, a Southerner would love to hear your "You might be a redneck if..." joke.

1 comment: